anti ad blocker

English For Class 10 (Model Set 2)

Friday, June 17, 2011


del Set 2



Students are required to answer in their own words.
1.    Read following poem and answer the questions given below:      [5]
Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high;
Where knowledge is free;
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments by
narrow domestic walls;
Where words come out from the depth of truth;
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection;
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the
dreary desert sand of dead habit;
Where the mind is led forward by thee into every-widening
thought and action …
Into that heaven of freedom, my father,
let my country awake.
-          Rabindranath Tagore
A.   Read the poem and complete the following sentences.   [4x0.5=2]
(i)      The poet wants to hear…………..
(ii)     Narrow domestic walls cause………………….
(iii)       We need…………………for fearless mind.
(iv)      The poet appeals God to change the country as a ……
B.  Answer the following questions.                                                                [1x3=3]
(i)             What happens if the mind is without fear?
(ii)           Why is the world divided into parts?
(iii)          What is the theme of the poem?
2.       Read the following passage and answer the questions:                 [10]
I knocked at the door and entered the room. The room was rectangular with the open windows on two sides. There were three people sitting one sofa and two chairs, who looked at me when I entered. I noticed that photocopies of my certificates were on the table in front of them.
The man in the middle asked me to sit down and make myself comfortable. I sank into the chair opposite them. A thin man with thin glasses asked where I was from and if I had taught in any school or institute before. I hadn't, and I told him so. A serious-looking lady asked if I was trained for the job. I wasn't, and I told her so. Two questions in a row and my answer to both was no. I was beginning to feel uneasy and nervous. One of them asked how old I was and I told him that I was 20.
"Aren't you very young for this job?" he asked.
"I don't know, sir. I have never done a job like this before," I said and immediately realized my mistake. I should have said that my age was perfectly suitable for the job. I was not going to get the job – I was pretty sure.
A. Write the words from the text as indicated in the brackets.  -4x0.5=2]
a)       relaxed (similar)                           c) parallel (opposite)  
b)       Xeroxes (similar)                          d) calm (opposite)
B. Arrange the following sentences in the correct order.    -[6x0.5=3]
a)       The man in the middle asked me to sit down.
b)       I was too nervous to answer their questions.
c)       I entered into the rectangular room.
d)       Then I thought that I could not get the job.
e)       I told that I hadn't taught in any institute.
f)        They asked me about my experience and address.
C.  Answer the following questions.                                      [5x1=5]
a)       Why did the writer feel panicky?
b)       Why was the lady asked about her experience?
c)       Why did the narrator think that she wouldn't get the job?
d)       Who do you think the people were?
e)       Give the text a suitable title.
3.       Read the following passage and answer the questions: [10]
You need to prepare very well for the exam. To do so, you have to study regularly. Many students neglect their studies at the beginning of the school term. When the exam approaches, they start cramming. You mustn’t do that. Cramming is no good because you try to learn a lot of things in a short time, and so you can’t learn them well. Regular work right from the beginning makes you through. I think it’s one of the conditions of success. There are other conditions of course.
Most students learn answers by rote taking them from a common source. I think this is again a wrong way of preparing for an exam. For one thing, it’s no good memorizing things without understanding or thinking about hem. You become a parrot. Another reason is that examiners get bored when they find almost the same answers in all the scripts. You can’t blame them if they don’t give you good marks. If you were an examiner, you would do the same. I always try to understand what I read, make my own notes and revise them frequently.
There’s one other thing. Yu may be well-prepared for the exam, but sometimes you find unexpected questions. And you need to answer them offhand. It’s difficult to write good answers without preparations if your language is poor. So, to do well, you have to have fairly good command of the language.
A.   Choose the best answer.                                                     [4x0.5=2]
(i)       The word approaches means inline 3 means……
a)       Comes near                b) reaches              c) appears
(ii)     One of the conditions of success is…….
a) rote learning   b) regular study c) scramming
(iii)     Memorizing things without understanding is just like being……….
a)       an examiner               b) a student           c) a parrot
(iv)    The word ‘offhand’ in line 20 means………
a)       With thought and preparation                b) without thought and preparation c) either thought or preparation
B.   Answer the questions.                                                              [4x2=8]
(i)                      What kind of answer is boring to the examiner?
(ii)                    Why is it necessary to have good command of a language?
(iii)                   What, according to the writer are the conditions of success?
(iv)                  Why isn’t cramming any good?
4.    Read the following news story and answer the questions:           [15]
Gasoline lines are a familiar sight in Kathmandu. But this time, the queues of motorcycles are there not for fuel but because of fuel.
Kailash Pandey, service manger of the Yamaha workshop at Teku, has been busy the last few weeks fielding complaints from angry customers who are flocking to the service centre because their engines have been messed up apparently by adulterated petrol. A tired Pandey is in no mood to continue on the job because of the misbehavior of customers who claim that the problems are due a technical fault of the motorcycle company.
“Each day, we are dealing with at least 25 motorcycles with problems in their fuel valves or the piston caused by bad gasoline,” said Pandey, pointing to a long queue of motorcycles waiting to be repaired.
Contaminated fuel has taken a heavy toll mainly on two-wheelers during the last three weeks. The number of motorcycles with such complaints has gone up sharply of late.
The problem is not limited to Yamaha motorcycles. Owners of Bajaj, Hero Honda and other leading brands are also reporting similar trouble. Service centers of Toyota and Hyundai cars have also been besieged by upset motorists.
A.      Find the words for the following as indicated in the brackets.                                                                                       [6x0.5=3]
a. compliments (antonym)              b. really (synonym)
c. tainted (synonym)                         d. cordiality (antonym) 
e.  harshly (synonym)                       f. crowded (synonym) 
B.      Read the text and complete the following sentences.[4x1=4]
a.    Kailash Pandey is busy…….
b.    Customers are crowded at service center for……….
c.     The service centers field at least………
d.    Not only motorcycles but also………..
C.      Answer the questions.                                              [4x2=8]
a.       Where can you see the queue of motorbikes in Kathmandu these days?
b.       What are the problems seen in two-wheelers?
c.        Why are the customers infuriated?
d.       What are the causes of problems seen in motorbikes and cars? Any two?
5.       Do you prefer to study alone, or as part of a group of students?
Why? Write an essay in about 150-180 words using specific examples and reasons to explain your opinion.                                         [12]
6.       Write a news story using the following clues:                                 [6]
Workers on Strike
-       A Bus (Ga 1 Kha 785), plying from Pokhara
-       Hit a student, 13, studying in Grade-8
-       Spot death, driver ran away
-       Infuriated locals brought vehicles stranded
-       The bus set in blaze
-       Local protest – demanding stringent punishment to the driver and Rs.10,0000/- compensation
7.       Read the following bar-diagram carefully, and write a short description about it by using the clues given below in the box: [6]

Clues for bar-diagram:
Number of schools by level……largest number….primary school……….lowest secondary school………..lower secondary school increasing………primary and secondary almost constant……… the number of lower secondary reached 10000+ in the year 2007…..


8.    Choose the correct word from the brackets to complete the passage below:                                                                                                                              [10x0.5=5]
Once upon a time there was……..(a/an/the/one) old woman who was very old. She had a son and a daughter. Her son was lazy but her daughter was very active and smart. They lived in a village.
One day, when her daughter was not home, the old woman was very hungry. She wanted to eat something. She called her son and said that………(I’m very hungry/she was very hungry/she is very hungry) she then said, “Do you prepare  some chicken soup….(with/at/for) me?”
“Chicken Soup! Yummy I’d love to have it. But, I don’t know how to make it.” The son replied. He said,” If you give me fifty rupees, I…(could buy/can buy/bought)  the soup for you from the nearest soup.”
“Fifty rupees……………(is/are/have) a big amount for me”, the old woman said, “We have soup at home. Why do we need to buy it again? You can make it, can’t you? Last week you made it yourself. Do you remember? If you make it, we will have together. You also like chicken soup, …….(aren’t you/don’t you/won’t you)?
“No, mother, I’m not hungry today. I even don’t like chicken soup. It’s bad for stomach,”  the boy said.
(Although/In spite of/Because)….. the boy knew how to prepare chicken soup, he didn’t do it because of his laziness. He was just trying to escape.
Soon the old woman’s daughter came and she made soup for her mother and herself. The soup………(prepared/was prepared/would prepare) very deliciously. The boy’s mouth watered when he …..(smells/smelling/ smelt) the soup. But the old woman did not allow him to have even a drop. The woman made him………..(realize/to realize/realized) his mistake. Then he realized his mistake and he was really very sad.
9.       Rewrite the following sentences choosing the best alternatives given in the brackets.                                                                                      [12x0.5=6]
(i)       Mr. Obama is........... only person to help you. (the/a/an)
(ii)     My own problem seems insignificant compared ....... other people's   (with/to/for).
(iii)    No one knows the answer to the question,......? (don't they/ do they/ does any one).
(iv)   A number of fools .......... present here (are/is/have).
(v)     The yes/no question of ‘He sped the car on the highway’ is …..(Did he sped the car/ Did he speed the car/ Did I speed the car)…on the highway?.
(vi)   ‘She has never received any award’ can be transformed into affirmative as:…(She has ever received any award/She has always received any award/ She has always received some award).
(vii)  ........... her carelessness she always gets good marks in English (Because of/Despite/Although).
(viii)As soon as the teacher entered the classroom, the students ......... to their feet (had leapt/leapt/ would leap).
(ix)   I love being praised. The active voice of this sentence is.............. (I loved people praising me/ I love people praising me/ I love praising people).
(x)     She always says to me, " I have to help you at any cost". Yes, she always tells me that.................... (she had to help me at any cost/she has to help me at any cost/she will have to help me at any cost).
(xi)            I didn't want to sing the song but the teacher ........ me to sing one (made/got/had).
(xii)        Had the students gone to the museum they .......... a lot of things (would see/ will see/ would have seen)
The End.

No comments: